The Transportation Department, in cooperation with the City of La Quinta, will be improving Fred Waring Drive from Adams Street to Port Maria Road. The project will widen Fred Waring from four to six lanes to match the number of lanes east and west of the site. Improvements on the south side of the road will include a bike lane and improvements on the north will include a back out area that will provide space for mail delivery vehicles, parking and safe maneuvering at driveways.
Fred Waring Drive
|Project Limits||Adams Street on the west to Port Maria on the east (0.6 miles)|
|Construction Start||January 2014|
|Construction Completion||July 2014|
|County Inspector||Eric Lohr, (951) 961-6191|
|Work Hours||7:00 AM – 6:00 PM (Monday – Friday)
* Limited weekend work may occur.
|Contact||Dennis Green, (909) 800-0451|
North side of Fred Waring Drive
- Stamped colored concrete “back up” area for accessing driveways, deliveries, mail and refuse service
- Traffic calming feature and utility islands along the back up lane
- Reconstruction of walls, gates, and driveways will be constructed in groups of 2 to 3 at a time
- Access to properties to be maintained at all times, except during driveway reconstruction
Sound Walls on south side of Fred Waring Drive
- Contractor will build sound wall in 2-3 home segments to minimize impact to residents
- Contractor will talk with each resident prior to commencing work on their wall to protect improvements and discuss individual needs (animal relocation, property access, temporary fence installations, etc.)
- Secure temporary fencing will be installed and maintained while permanent wall is being constructed
- Landscaping in raised medians will be a continuation of the recently installed landscaping immediately west of the project
- As part of City’s View Corridor designation, median landscaping will include enhanced landscaping and accent lighting
- Existing landscaping along the south parkway will be protected to the extent possible. Landscaping impacted by soundwall construction will be replaced with new landscape plant material
- Landscaping and walls along the north side impacted by road construction will be replaced per agreements with individual homeowners
- Speed limit will be reduced to 35 MPH in each direction.
- Use alternate routes when available.
- Slow down and obey all direction given by flag persons.
- Be patient and allow extra time when commuting through the work zone.
Comments from the Public:
September 18, 2014
Just a note to share our appreciation for the men and women from Granite Construction and the County for all they did to make our street widening experience as pleasant as it could have possibly been. The crews and their leaders were diligent, very knowledgeable about their business and as helpful as they could possibly be throughout the project. We were so impressed with their capabilities, how well they did their work in strain of the extreme heat they often faced, and how polite they always were to all the neighbors impacted by the project. I can’t say enough positive things about the work they did, how pleased the home owners are with the work now done and how tolerable the folks from Granite and the County made it for all of us home owners. We thank you all for doing such a great job and would be glad to be a reference to anyone concerned about facing such projects in the future. You have a firm positive testimonial from us any time that might prove useful.
Thanks so much,
Ron and Donna Rowell